- Evaluate your level before preparing a plan
- Talk about your goals and plans
- Is following your progress regularly
- Is present at some of your training sessions (even though not necesseraly every time!)
- Is able to listen to your feeling perception of the training sessions and not only the hard data
- Has the technical background for the sport
- Is able to motivate you emotionally in order to achieve your goals
- Is resourceful and ready to try new things
- Is following the news and technology of the sport
- Makes performance predictions and they prove to be accurate
- Who explains the details of every session and the role of it in the plan
- Promotes socializing between his athletes
Keep these criteria in mind next time you choose a coach! Athletes should also be ready to interact with their coach, transfer feelings, perceptions and information regarding the progress of every session. Share experiences and suggest small improvements or modifications to the plan.
Failure in any of the above increases the possibility of physical injury, emotional instability, loss of motivation and low performance as a result.
Athletes resolving to coaching services, must have trust in their coaches, but not faith! Trust has to be earned and verified on a regular base, according to the results. Discipline is also important but should not be blind. Nobody should know your body better than yourself.
This a short note, but I think a very valuable one. I see many appearing as coaches these days, but very few deserve this title! A good coach promotes the sport, the culture and the performance of the athlete. Choose wisely!