Δευτέρα 5 Μαΐου 2014

A trail race with a historic background: Efialtes trail 2014 (Anopaia Atrapos)


This is a trail race that I had in my sight for several years. But every time something was keeping my away from the starting line. So this was the time to do it.

Equipment used in this race:
  • Shoes, Pearl Izumi EM-N1
  • Waist Belt, Ultra Aspire MBS+Quark
  • Bottle, Ultra Aspire Human 8
Just after a month from my spring marathon and with limited trail time on my legs, I was happy to be in this race taking place on the unique historic trail through which Efialtes is supposed to have led the Persian army at the back of the Spartans who were defending the Thermopyles pass. The race is mostly downhill on technical terrain and there are many chances to sprain an ankle. The start is uphill through forest road initially and trails later on. But the last 10kms are all downhill taking runners from an alt of 1100m to almost sea level.


Even though this was not a key race for me, and the distance is quite short for my taste, I tried to push a lot from the start, and test my body against the fatigue from the training sessions I am having recently in preparation for the 180kms ultra run (Aethlios) that I am having in less than two weeks time. It worked out well. I was close to the leader throughout the uphill part and fell behind in third place at the downhill part, but not too far behind. I finished third overall in a field of more than 220 runners and happy for my effort. Also very happy that my legs were still in one piece after the brutal downhill. Quads were just a bit heavy after race, but that was all.

Time to slow down now in my tapering period before the Aethlios ultra on 16th of May.



1 σχόλιο: